Breakfast is easily one of my favorite meals of the day. If I had to choose a meal to sit down and savor, it would be breakfast. Actually, before I had Oliver, I would sit down to eat breakfast every day. It was a great ritual to try to eat mindfully, read my favorite blogs, and prepare myself for the day ahead. But I’m really not a morning person, so it has always been a struggle for me to cook in the mornings. Now throw a baby in the mix and my mornings are typically chaotic and I’m lucky if I get to eat a whole meal without getting up three times. A few years back I started making a breakfast casserole and it has been such a LIFESAVER lately. I make it on Sunday afternoons and then we reheat it for breakfast for the whole week.
This casserole is a great family food, even 8 month old Ollie loves it! It’s also a great way to get in some veggies in the morning. I recently found this brand of pre-spiralized vegetables and I love them! I originally found them at Whole Foods, but my local Target also has them. So far I’ve tried butternut squash, zucchini, and sweet potato noodles. I do have my own spiralizer, but these are just so much more convenient. Side note: Since Zucchini noodles are called Zoodles would butternut squash noodles be called Boodles?!? Because that would just be hilarious.
As for the breakfast sausage, I’ve been loving the Jimmy Dean All Natural sausage. Gluten-free, no crazy ingredients, and not overly fatty.
The great thing about this casserole is that you can customize it however you like. Feel free to add more veggies, add cheese, leave out the hashbrowns–whatever you like! I’ve been eating 80% paleo since finishing the Whole 30, so that influenced the ingredients I used. I like to top mine off with some avocado, cilantro, and hot sauce, but it also tastes great on it’s own. Enjoy!
- 1 lb breakfast sausage (I like Jimmy Dean All Natural)
- 10 oz spiralized butternut squash (I used Cece's Veggie Noodle Co)
- 3/4 cup shredded hashbrowns
- 7 eggs
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 375
- Grease the baking dish with Ghee or your preferred cooking oil.
- Brown sausage in a medium skillet. While the sausage is cooking, whisk eggs in a separate bowl.
- Add butternut squash to skillet and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add hashbrowns, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Put sausage hashbrown mix in the baking dish and pour in eggs, stirring together until well combined.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes depending on your oven.
- Top with desired toppings (I recommend avocado!)