A couple of years ago I was on a paleo diet (that’s a story for a different post) and I decided to make the switch to some safer skincare products. Deodorant was actually first on my list because of how tender underarm skin is, especially with frequent shaving.
I tried several brands from companies that offered more natural skincare products, but with varied results. Honestly, the process of finding a natural deodorant was very stressful several years ago, when the options were more limited. At the time, most of the natural deodorants relied on using large amounts of baking soda (a natural odor absorbant), but baking soda also irritates a lot of skin types, including mine! I spent a good few months trying to convince myself that one of these natural deodorants wouldn’t burn my skin and that it wasn’t “that bad”, but I really had to wait to find the right company. Enter Primally Pure. Their deodorants use just the right amount of baking soda to help absorb odors, but not enough to where it irritates my skin. But first, let me tell you a little bit about why I think it’s important to make the switch to natural deodorant.
Why Conventional Deodorant is lacking
I will preface this by saying I am not a fan of fear-mongering; however, I do get skeptical of ingredients that may have harmful effects, or are not 100% safe or beneficial to our bodies. Conventional deodorant contains aluminum, which clogs your pores and prevents you from sweating. Say what?! It is 100% natural to sweat! I will repeat again, it is 100% natural to sweat! It’s our bodies amazing ability to cool itself when it starts to get hot. Somewhere in the past 50 years, we have been conditioned to think that sweating is somehow “gross” and “unnatural” – or even embarrassing – and so conventional deodorant was designed to prevent just that. And why would we want to clog our pores? We spend so much time looking for beauty products that don’t clog the pores on our faces, but what about those that we’re putting on our armpits?! Especially when we’re putting them on freshly-shaved armpits.
Sweating is also a way that our skin can breathe and get rid of toxins that don’t serve our body.
Unfortunately, it’s not just aluminum lurking in conventional deodorant. They also contain parabens, a preservative that has been found to be a hormone disruptor and could potentially affect your estrogen levels. Hint: many companies are recognizing that consumers are wary of parabens and are making paraben-free products, but many deodorants still contain them.
Artificial fragrances and colors. As much as many people try to use fragrance-free laundry detergents, somehow we don’t question the fragrances of deodorants. And the ingredient list will simply say, “fragrance”…what kind? What is it made of? So many questions, but we just get a generic statement. And if you dig deeper, you may not get an answer, as fragrances can be marked as trade secrets. Many of the artificial fragrances used in deodorants irritate sensitive skin and allergies.
Phthalates are chemicals used to soften PVC plastics, and for some reason they are still being used in cosmetic products including deodorant. They have been linked to all sorts of health issues and are definitely something our products can do without! This is another ingredient that many companies are aware that consumers don’t want to see in their products, and many companies are actively removing them from their products.
Why I Chose Primally Pure
- Transparency in ingredients Primally Pure is dedicated to using a limited number of ingredients, and using ingredients that are already found in nature. They then maximize the potency of these natural ingredients in safe quantities and use them to make effective products. I was so pleased with their deodorant when I found it, because unlike some other natural deodorants, it works!! I went on to add their other products to my routine and was again pleasantly surprised with the results. Honestly, I have not used a product of theirs that I have not liked; they are all fantastic!
- They know their stuff They have the perfect intersection of estheticians and scientists. Primally Pure works with beauty industry experts to create high-performing products, and it shows. For example, the charcoal deodorant works on keeping me smelling good, even during my most sweaty workouts. Primally Pure actually just opened up their own holistic spa (this Mama wants to go)! Each of their product pages explains what the ingredients in each product do, what they are, and how best to use them.
- Woman (and Mama) run! I am always drawn to support woman-run businesses, and this is no exception. I admire Bethany McDaniel – the founder of Primally Pure – for recognizing a need and then creating a business that not just meets this need, but exceeds it!
Yikes, just writing those two words sounds awkward and kind of makes me cringe! But when you switch from conventional deodorant to natural deodorant, a detox is part of the process. What does that even mean? It basically means that your body has to get used to sweating again AND sweat out unnatural chemicals. Yes – think about it. For x number of years, you have been clogging your pores to prevent them from sweating by loading them with conventional deodorant. They need to get used to sweating again and, potentially, sweat out some of the chemicals you have been using. So the first few weeks of stopping using conventional deodorant, you may sweat more than usual, and it may be stinky. This will go away though! Your body will adjust.
Ways to facilitate detoxing:
- Drink lots of water, water helps your body rid itself of toxins
- Exfoliate your pits–they need it just as much as the rest of your body
- Make a “mask”: a mixture of 1 TBSP bentonite clay, 1 tsp water, and 1 tsp apple cider vinegar. Apply it daily for 1 week, or until you feel like your detox period is over.
If this scares you, I completely understand, but this is advice for more extreme cases. I personally do not remember going through a detox period and made the switch to natural deodorant quite easily!
Try Primally Pure for Yourself and save some $$
Believe it or not, this post is not sponsored, I just wanted to spread the love about a natural deodorant that works, but I truly do love Primally Pure!
Want to read more about natural deodorant? These are articles I found to be helpful and they break down even more, why it’s important to make the switch: